The songs the Idol contestants will sing? I've had a hard time coming up with anything resembling a logical guess for any of the contestants for any of the previous weeks. But this week (did I mention it's Neil Diamond week?) I have some strong hunches about what people will sing. Time will tell how reliable my gut is, but for now here's what I feel coming (in order of strongest feeling to wildest guess):
1. David Archuleta - He's not heavy, he's my brother. This just seems tailor-made for Archie, who is destined, when Simon questions his song choice, to reply, "It's just such a great song with a really positive message. I just think it's a song the world really needs to hear right now, you know? Take care of each other and lift each other up. It's always been one of my favorite songs."
2. David Cook - I'm a Believer. He'll do this in kind of a dark, minor arrangement that will burst into a brighter, less brooding speed rocker.
3. Jason Castro - Red, Red Wine. Randy will say it's not the greatest vocal of the night, but he loved how he made it his own, dog, so that was pretty good. Paula will melt a little and try to say she's crushing on him without actually saying it. Simon will say he played it safe, but at least we know what to expect from him and there's no question he's genuine. Still, he's got to wonder if America is going to get bored with the same performance week in and week out.
4. Brooke White - Play Me. I really don't know what she'll sing. I just know it will be overly thoughtful and underly dynamic.
5. Syesha Mercado - You Don't Bring Me Flowers. It won't make sense as a solo effort instead of a duet, but she'll do it anyway. The judges will like the vocal (and Paul will say she looks great) but they will all be confused as to why she's singing two halves of a song to herself.
In past seasons, the contestants didn't start singing two songs until the final four, which should make this the longest, most drawn out performance episode of the season. I can't wait. There's gonna be a whole lotta Neil, baby, yeah!
Paddock vs. Petty: If You Had to Pick One - I’ll declare at the outset that what I’m about to propose is a false dichotomy. This world is not divided into Tom Pettys and Stephen Paddocks. But I’m goi...
1 week ago